Monday, March 27, 2006

Its all in the mind.

That day I had given my new bike for the first service. Hence I had to go to the office in the old bike. The problem with the old one is that its in Pondicherry registration and I have not paid the Karnataka Road tax so that I can drive it. One attracts heavy fine if not followed the rules.

And here I go, driving, with my heart panting as if I have done something terribly wrong. To my bad luck, its one of such days where in each and every nook and corner there is a policeman standing with the Receipt book of his. Huh! A left turn and there he is. I quickly look for the truck going past me and cruise behind it so that the police man doesn't watch me. Oops, Just when 'I' was about to cross the signal, it turns red. And there I have to stop. Now, heart pumps even faster. The man overseeing the traffic can see me clearly and more clearly, the number plate in my bike. I make frantic efforts to turn the handle bar to an angle from which he cannot see it, and was acting to be very casual. The count down is ticking 85, oops that's nearly one and a half minute. It was like an hour and half for me. And at last it turns green and allows me to go past the Stop line. I feel as if I just cleared the tenth standard. To reach office, I still had to clear the higher secondary and then 8 semesters in college. Yeah! That's exactly the number of traffic signals that I need to cross through daily. At last, I somehow manage, thanks to the heavy bangalore traffic, I always had some vehicle to hide behind, and reach Lavelle Road, the one in which my office is located. Just a turn left and within 60 meters, I could reach the office parking lot. And there I see our man, sitting pretty in his Pulsar!, that too right in front of the two wheeler park entrance of my office. Carefully observing, I realized that he was there to drop someone. My heart beat slows down as I got nearer and nearer. Huh!!

I was thinking about this even today. I pass through the same set of traffic signals daily. And there is absolutely no doubt that policeman need to be there at all signals and junctions to maneuver this kind of traffic. But still, when I travel in the new bike, with all required documents intact, I don't worry about all this. The reason for all these feelings and thoughts was because, I was more aware of the fact that I am doing something which is wrong and against the law. Don't we get the same feeling when we tell someone a lie? Its exactly the same thing when one falters against the moral law. It just keeps pricking for a long time.

Its all in the mind.

7 comments:

Bharani said...

Eppadi da Unnala Mattum

Unknown said...

enna maari naalu nalla friends kooda friendship vachukitta ipdi thaan feelings varum :-)

Baker Street said...

avvvuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Unknown said...

Suja,
Anegama andha other guy unna paathu bayandhu irupar...thats y he cud have asked u to leave... he heee..

Marutham said...

Beautiful post! Its nice to see some one who can think so much very sensitively and sensibly!! Namlla neraya peru adha yosikka kooda mattom!! Nice thought!! :)
You got a good blog...Great job Pal!!

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hi,
Tht was a ncie write up..But blog is sleepin 4 long.. Come back...

Sasiprabha said...

Yes it is all in the mind.. Nothing will go other than paying the fine, if u were caught.. But paying the fine for fault is a great prestegious issue and we people are afraid of someone denoting our fault and criticize us.
But this fear at sometimes become a speed breaker to be a courageous decision maker as it starts questioning "what they'll say? How he'll take me? whether it'll go without any fault? will they get affected by me?" so and so..