Friday, October 14, 2005

Work...

Why and How do we work?

Recently, I had to solve a customer major. The issue was quite complicated and it took sometime to boil down to the problem. The same had happened some time back too. I compared the way in which I took up either cases and solved them. There was a drastic difference. So what were the factors that determine this.

Pondering over these thoughts, I remembered one discussion I once had with my PL.

People work for two reasons.
  1. Fear of failure
  2. Hope of Success
When one stumbles upon some problem, one might be afraid about the failure that he would have to face if he is not able to overcome the problem. This is the prime motivation to work upon the problem, think, analyze and solve it.
Else, one might feel that he/ she can win over the problem, and the resultant joy of success, i.e appreciation, rewards etc. This would also act as motivation towards solving the problem.

These personal feelings depends upon the confidence, knowledge, attitude of the individual. If one is very confident and has a positive attitude, then one will approach any problem with a "Hope of Success" mentality. Not to forget that these attributes depend a lot on the circumstances, stress levels and the environment one is exposed to.

I, myself felt the difference in the confidence levels and my attitude when I worked in two different circumstances. But in both cases, somehow the work is done and the desired result will be achieved. But, we should all try and get into the positive side of it, i.e. to work with a "Hope of Success" frame of mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know..there is one more approach and i personally feel it is the best.
That is to do approach the problem as though you were solving it for you friend and not yours. The underlying factor is that you dont attach yourself to success or failure or to be precise the feelings brought out by these.

Try this out next time..It has always worked for me.