Monday, September 26, 2005

Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

Yesterday I had been to my aunts (my periyamma) house in Andheri, and somehow we started discussing philosophy. After my uncle (my periyappa) had passed away 6 months back, my aunt has involved herself in lots of philosophical study. She was reading a book titled The Power of NOW by Eckhart Tolle. I was very much impressed by the basic ideology of the book.

Here is an excerpt of what I learnt from my conversation with my aunt. Very true, I thought.
"
Our mind is always tuned to either travel to the past or run towards the future. Our mind never settles to the present, the NOW. Whenever one tries to concentrates on something, our mind tends to think about something else which might be cribbing about the past or worry about what is going to happen in the future. So, in order to look beyond, one needs to practice, practice and practice hard to train the mind to stick to the NOW.
"
Philosophically this sounds easy, but in reality is this really possible? I thought.

More details about the book, and the author is available in: www.eckharttolle.com

5 comments:

Nil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nil said...

We get our intelligence by recollecting from their past and thinking into future. Isolating these factors from one's thought process will just reduce us to a Black box with an impulse response. So it would not be correct to say - living for this moment. It may be sensational but in reality it cannot be. Experiences of the Past and the Promise of the Future are what that makes us perform. So the Power of NOW rests with the Tenses.

But I have also read something like this: Any habit - good or bad - is due the recollection of the past experience we had with that action. Something like, you try to smoke as you have the taste of it when you smoked last and so on.. Never do something bad 'just for once'; the taste of it may make you want more of it again.. And always grab the first oppotunity to do something better: That will drive to a better future!!

Sorry Maggy - You told I too inspired into blogging.. So u've got to bear with this (and more) ;-)

Magesh G said...

Hey Nil, Thanks for your comment.
Probably I have not putforth my point that clearly.

We relate things withthe past and these experiences help us in making our decisions. But at the same time, one should not waste the NOW, by feeling bad about what happened inthe past and worry what would happen in the future. One should keep these thoughts away and try to utilise the present usefully so that in the future, the past actions are not repeated.

I still feel I have not putforth my point clearly, but I dont know how better I can xplain this in words !!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton